Sunday, December 4, 2011

Say It Ain't So Jose ...

ESPN Deportes is reporting that the Miami Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a 6 year deal worth $111 million. If this report is true it appears that Reyes will not be returning to the Mets. It was around this time last year that I woke up early in the morning to see that Cliff Lee had signed with the Phillies - horrible news. But tomorrow if I wake to see Reyes will be taking the field next year in the horrendous uniforms with Miami across his chest it will probably be the worst sports news I have ever received. Growing up a college sports fan players generally leave on good terms - or at least the players that mattered. DeJuan Wheat wore out his eligibility. Fransisco Garcia was given Rick Pitino's blessing to leave early - he was ready and he needed to take of his family. The list could go on and on. And sure I missed them when the left, but it was expected. Professional sports though is a different game altogether. I have been an Eagles fan since college, but even when Donovan McNabb was traded I wasn't sad. I was hoping that Michael Vick would ultimately take over the quarterback role, even though Kevin Kolb was slated to (and eventually Vick did). I claimed to be a 76ers fan, but really I was just an Allen Iverson fan. When Iverson left I lost interest. But the Mets - I love the Mets. And since I've only been watching for about four years to me I can't imagine a Mets team without Jose Reyes. Reyes was by far the most exciting player on the team and without his presence I can't imagine what the team will be like. It has often been said that if David Wright is the face of the franchise, Reyes is the heart and soul. It will be hard to sit at Citifield and never see number 7 lead-off the bottom of the first inning. It will be hard to see Ruben Tejada take the field every day at short stop. But it will probably be the hardest to see him at Citifield sitting in the visitor's dugout. I understand professional sports is a business, but its hard not to love certain players. I was sad when Carlos Beltran left, but I knew it was coming. Reyes is different though. He has the longest tenure as a Met. His name is all over the record book. He is a special player - it would just be nice if he continued to shine under the bright lights of New York. But I guess there is still room for a little hope. He hasn't signed anywhere yet, but even I - the most optimistic Met fan - am thinking that the Jose Reyes Saga is about to come to end and it's not going to be a happy one for me and the rest of the Mets fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment